I’ve been making progress on the Tiny Studio at a comfortable pace this past year and hope to have it near finished for the coming winter. Over the last 8 months or so I’ve been excited to see it become a more welcoming space. Now with the floors in, most of the ceiling, and framing for counter tops in the kitchen, the vision for the interior is coming together. The siding is 90% done, though I’m soon to build a storage unit on the back of the house that will then have siding.
Still seems a dream that this actually happened! The studio has successfully begun making its way to new places. The first new spot will be Concord, MA at the future New Life Community Church location. The church is being constructed so it is a well suited place to park.
Since my last post I have made progress on a variety of interior projects. First I planned out where I wanted light switches and outlets and nailed in electrical boxes appropriate for each. Next, I consulted a friend who is an electrician who helped guide me and make some basic decisions such as where the breaker box would go. I’ve accepted his advise that my breaker box will be in the back left corner of the loft where it is most out of the way to the living space as I will not need to access it often.
The New England winter has turned to spring and with it I am back to work on the project! During the winter I had a temporary door I had found on the side of the road and it was smaller than the plans called for so I had built in the door frame to fit. Since then I attempted to use a door I got a deal on off craigslist, but this soon turned into a bit of a headache as a frame needed to be build around it and the size was still smaller than my rough opening. There were a variety of factors such as the weather stripping, threshold, and used door hinges that were making the result unsatisfactory. This past week I decided to take the plunge and purchase a door at Home Depot that had the frame and threshold all as one piece and was the correct size for my rough opening. It turned out to be a great solution as the door was not very expensive and saved me the time of trying to finagle together bits and pieces to get a nicely sealed door.
For wall sheathing I have chosen to use the “Zip System“. A friend introduced me to the product and soon after I noticed many houses going up in the area were using it. A huge advantage to the product is the sheathing itself has the moisture barrier property built right in, where as with plain plywood sheathing I would have to also apply a moisture barrier such as “Tyvek“, and a rainscreen.
In framing the roof I have used 2×6 boards as the rafters and 2x8s that run the perimeter of the roof framing. The rafters have been notched out to rest on the wall framing appropriately. I am yet to add the hurricane-ties and perimeter of the framing, but I thought I should share what progress has been made and will update later.
Quite a bit different from the subfloor and wall framing, the loft requires a bit more work. In these plans the 4×4’s are notched out half their width and ideally fit together tightly based on how precise your measurements and execution is. At first I noticed several notches needed to be shaved down. I feel this has been a good result so far since it is better to have cut less than more and still can work to get the beams fitting tightly.
Having vertical walls has made this project feel all the more real! The month or so working with the subfloor has paid off as I now am rewarded with what is starting to look like a space. Working from the plans from Alek at “The Tiny Project” has made this part of the project go quite smooth and quickly.
Last Thursday I was thankful to receive my trailer delivered by Bauer Services out of Maryland. During the weekend I made several trips to gather materials such as the Pressure Treated 2x4s, Plywood, insulation, galvanized bolts, etc. to start on the subfloor framing.
I imagine that one of the challenges for many people that wish to start a tiny house project on wheels is to find a building space to construct it. I discovered that once I let people know I was looking for a place to build that they were more willing than I expected to offer available space. People have been so supportive and enthusiastic about the project.