I’ve been making progress on the Tiny Studio at a comfortable pace this past year and hope to have it near finished for the coming winter. Over the last 8 months or so I’ve been excited to see it become a more welcoming space. Now with the floors in, most of the ceiling, and framing for counter tops in the kitchen, the vision for the interior is coming together. The siding is 90% done, though I’m soon to build a storage unit on the back of the house that will then have siding.

Here are some progress photos over the year.

Painted Siding

Painted Siding

Added Cedar Shingles

Added Cedar Shingles

Cedar Shingles

More Cedar Shingles

More Cedar Shingles

I’m happy with how the floor turned out! I had collected a variety of salvaged flooring options and was struggling to decide which to use as each seemed to have a different appeal. I ended up deciding that the Brazilian Cherry would be the easiest to work with and would likely give the best results since the other materials I had were salvaged and in poor condition so it would have taken a long time to prepare to use them. One third of the cherry flooring was given to me as a gift and was brand new. Another section of the cherry was from extra flooring from my parents house that my brother was using in his studio that he then donated to me. So two thirds of the flooring I got free, and the remaining third was about $200, so I felt this was the way to go.

Cherry Flooring

Cherry Flooring

Cherry Floor Detail

Cherry Floor Detail

During this time I was under a bit of a time constraint for a tiny house event in Concord that I was invited to be a part of. Because flooring makes such a difference in a space, I really wanted to have a floor in place for the event. It was a pleasure to meet so many tiny house enthusiasts and get so much good feedback. I’m told 3000 people attended the event.

Tiny House Festival - Concord MA

Tiny House Festival – Concord MA

Just before the Tiny House Festival, I also managed to add interior window trim and cedar shingles. I’ve found this soft pine to be a great addition to making the space feel more soft and welcoming on the inside. I plan to use more of it as I continue into the kitchen and bathroom. I’m happy with the choice to use cedar shingles on some of the exterior as they too seem to give the structure a softer feel.

Window Trim

Window Trim

Pine Detail

Pine Detail

The cedar ceiling has been made using salvaged clothing shelves from an apparel warehouse.

Ceiling

Cedar Ceiling

Soon after the event in Concord I was able to borrow a dump truck and move the studio to a new property in Beverly MA. Moving the house myself was a milestone in itself and it was quite the experience. My friend that followed from behind mentioned that there were times on the highway that I was adjusting from wind etc. that put the studio occasionally a foot or two in other lanes.

The studio is now at The Garden School. The Garden School is a project I have been involved with over the past year and now that my friends have acquired the property, I am officially a student at the school and have the studio as a side project here. To learn more about The Garden School please visit www.thegardenschool.org

Since my time here I’ve begun working on the kitchen counters. So far I have built what I see as “test counters” that are made simply with 2 x 4’s and plywood. Eventually the final counter tops will be another material, but I now know the dimensions I’d like to use and it was nice to get something in place for now.

Recently we had a fundraiser at the property and had raffle tickets for a night in the tiny, so I felt it helpful to get the test counters in so people would have a better idea of what the kitchen will be like.

Chive Sunday Supper

Chive Sunday Supper

Kitchen Counter

Kitchen Counter with sink

Kitchen Counter with propane stove

Kitchen Counter with propane stove

Update

Testing out some salvaged cabinets and will soon apply countertops.

15123365_952352316845_7311398021866321937_o

15304350_955085793935_6586067379701948796_o

Recently I have sealed off the stove chimney pipe on the roof so the next project is to install the rubber roof.

Share on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on Facebook